TRANSLATE

Friday, October 6, 2017

Our room was ALIVE in week five!

IMPORTANT DATES FOR FAMILIES TO REMEMBER:


Saturday 10/7Triple Threat Obstacle Challenge Click HERE  for more information. I hope to see many of you there! I will be working at the registration table from 10-10:30 and my third grade son will be participating, too! There are many openings for volunteers to set up, take down and help during the obstacle course. Please consider donating some of your time if you can to this special community activity!  

Monday 10/9: NO SCHOOL - Columbus Day

Tuesday, 10/10Optional Seed Homework Due

Tuesday, 10/10Picture Day. Coffee Pond will be at Memorial-Spaulding on 10/10 for picture day. Our class is signed up to have our individual and class pictures taken at 10:30. If you would like to pre-pay for an individual picture, please use either the order form sent home in your child's folder or you can order directly online. Click HERE to order directly online. All children receive a complimentary class picture.

Tuesday, 10/10This year, the Newton Public Schools will provide interested elementary school families with opportunities, information and resources on talking to children about issues of race, culture, and identity. Click HERE for more information.


Friday, 10/20Principal Coffee – Memorial-Spaulding Sped PAC (Parent Advisory Council) to meet on October 20th @ 8:30 am in the Cafe. All parents of current special education students are invited to attend.


Thursday, 11/2: Early Release - 12:30 dismissal

IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION FOR FAMILIES:

Absence from Extended Day:

If your child attends extended day and will be absent from extended day for any reason (absent from school, playdate after school, etc), on a day that s/he usually attends, please call extended day at 617.630.5151.

Pumpkins and other fall gourds:

We are hoping to have 5 volunteers to send in a pumpkin or other large fall gourd for us to observe over the month and cut into at the end of the month to observe the inside. If you would be willing to donate one to the class, please reply all and describe what you are planning to bring in. We would like variety (in the classroom next door, they have what looks like an orange pumpkin with green "warts" on the outside and also a white pumpkin). Thanks in advance!

Home Toys/Trading Cards

We have a no home toy/no trading card policy in second grade. Please reinforce this at home and do not allow your children to bring toys from home or trading cards, such as Pokemon cards to school. There have been issues with this at lunch recess and home toys/trading cards are becoming a distraction. Thank you! 

REMINDERS FOR FAMILIES:

Fall conferences: Please sign up for a fall conference at your earliest convenience. At this conference, we will discuss your child's transition to second grade, look at work together and plan for a successful second grade year. Click HERE to to go to our fall conference sign up on the sign-ups page on my website.

Wishlist: I’ll be posting items to our classroom wish list when there is a specific need or wish that would help enhance learning in our classroom. The items posted will likely change throughout the year, but for now they are mostly books that will enrich our classroom’s independent reading and read aloud libraries. If you are curious, you’ll always be able to find it through our classroom’s Sign Ups page. Click HERE to go there.

ASK ME ABOUTS:

Ask me about...
  • what I read this week during reader's workshop
  • what I know about fiction, non-fiction and poetry
  • how I show my thinking during Reader's Workshop and what were some interesting or new facts I encountered this week?
  • how I visualized while reading this week
  • the floss rule  
  • what my working number is...we are expecting all 2nd grade students to be fluent in facts to 10 now and facts to 20 by the end of the year. For a game to practice facts to ten, click HERE. For a game to practice facts to 20, click HERE.
  • how I feel about my doubles fact recall and how doubles facts can help me solve other problems 
  • my small moment story or stories that I have written or am writing
  • what happens when a seed germinates? Click HERE for a link to a video we watched if your child seems at all unsure.
  • how I think the seeds that I collected traveled to the places I found them. Why?
  • some things I learned about bike safety at the assembly this morning

LOOKING FORWARD:

Looking forward, we will:


  • practice making text to self, text to text and text to world connections and tell how the connections I make help me better understand what I read.
  • zoom in further and add more sensory details to our small moment stories.
  • review glued sounds that we learned in first grade
  • continue practicing number facts to 20 and solving number stories
  • finish our how seeds travel unit by sorting seeds by how they travel and creating some "seeds" of our own.
  • discuss "mean teasing" and why it's not OK (fyi...this is not anything that I have witnessed thus far, but it is a proactive part of our bully prevention program!)
Enjoy the long weekend!